Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Drawing Workshop



Drawing is not something I’m “known” for, but drawing is at the core of what I do.  Underneath all the color and medium, I’ve always aimed for a strong beginning - a good drawing.  I haven’t always hit the mark, but it’s where my art begins.  
So recently I’ve been wanting to draw - get my hands into the paper and my medium, to feel the work emerge, get back to my roots, so to speak. I haven't had much time for classes in the past decade, but I fit in something now and again.  Finally, the opportunity to take a class with a teacher I admire and respect came along. A 3 day workshop with Thomas Bosket, an instructor (professor) from Parsons New School in New York. I won't go into how he happens to be in Richmond, but I have worked with him before. So I knew what to expect: to expect the unexpected, and he delivered.  

I'll start with a few images: 

My first drawings were of a rocking chair.  Contours and mark-making.  Gesture. Showing the essence of the rocker, that wasn't actually rocking. I'm literal - Draw a rocker rocking when it is still?  Capture the movement of a still object? My good mood quickly darkened.  I hated the drawings.  

Then came the model.  I had no idea we were going to do figure drawing.  This was a basics class, so I figured I'd just happily float along while he instructed the beginners.  ha.  
Anyway, here I am doing what I know, sort of, and adding in lines that I think capture the body.  
It's ok.  
ok, it sucks.  




  I'm liking this one better.  Fewer lines capturing the position. but oh no - not quite what I'm supposed to have gotten.  hmmmm. 



Now I think this one is sweet.  But we were doing quick gestures with form, so I'm running out of time.  I'm missing the point and getting contour, but not gesture.  ackkkkk!!  


 Below is a piece I began and Thomas jumped into.  I was missing the ground and mostly missing the curves. The round swirls are Thomas showing me how to capture an entire curve, around the entire object even when I don't see it.  

Check out my rendition of curves - zig zags.  
ohhhhh - kaaaaaay.  

Then came this:  Thomas is moving while the model takes a break.  All the while he is talking to us trying to get into our heads what each of us is not doing. (and that is different for each of us.)  We can't lift our charcoal from the paper AND we are to capture each gesture he is making and get form at the same time.  I'm getting frustrated and pissy - all I see is a mess.  All he wants me to do is FEEL.  The drawing.  The movement.  crap.  I don't feel, I render.  What I see....
more to come......












2 comments:

  1. The second drawing MOVES me- quite literally. Yeah I know gestures can be a messy deal, but what the hell, they are fun, frustrating oh, FULL of FEELING! You were NOT neutral about these and so many times people are neutral when they work.
    Consider putting up the form ones and your last plastic, expressive texture studies.
    Oh and....you have a lot of MOXIE!
    BE well Thomas

    ReplyDelete