Saturday, January 22, 2011

Sketchbook Project

Add caption
RAINING DOGS AND CATS,  simply sketches

I thought it might be fun and challenging to take on a new project.  I belong to Art House Co-op, an online gallery where you can "meet" and share your art with other artists from all over the world.  It was based in Atlanta, but moved to Brooklyn, NY in 2010.  You can access the site here : Art House Co-op | We build art projects and communities

Above is the cover for my sketchbook.  I originally had a grand idea in mind, but it didn't take shape in the sketchbook I was doing pre-sketches in, so I decided to tackle those in another format. Then I realized, how silly!  I was doing sketches in a sketchbook FOR a sketchbook.  Why was I doing that? Why would I feel silly?  Well, when you see some of the other books, you will know exactly why:  there are so many talented, gifted artists out there doing amazing things with these tiny little books.  I was feeling competitive and overwhelmed.  Competitive?  this is art, not a sport!  
So after talking with my friend Charles, who was also doing a sketchbook, I decided to honor the spirit of sketching and do, well, a sketchbook. 

Some of the sketches turned out nicely, some not so wonderful, a few surprised me and a few others have given me ideas for a new approach to my paintings.  All the ways in which a sketchbook SHOULD work for an artist. As a bonus, I've learned to love sketching again.  
Thank you, Art House Co-op.  
sleeping dog

2 unsuccessful versions of the same dog.  May as well show the oops drawings, too. 


yawning dog






1 comment: