Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Art for Showtime

I've had an interesting few days.  I received a phone call from a gentleman who I met a few years ago. He is promoting a local event which includes a small number of artists and he felt like my work would be a good fit.  I was tickled and honored to be asked to exhibit at this high-end event and was considering it.  After some thought, I decided the timing and expenses were just not right.  Then I received an e-mail about another high end show in another state, and again, the timing and expense of doing such a show just won't work.   But I'm beginning to think that maybe the Universe is telling me something and I need to pay attention.  I usually do and in the past, I've found it beneficial to listen.  One door closes, another one opens. 


 I AM going to be doing my usual show, the Gosport Arts Festival in Portsmouth in May, so I've begun working on a few new pieces while finishing some pieces I began one and even two years ago.  In addition, as seen in recent blogs, I'm still painting on commissions and getting those completed.  


So here are pics of the most recent new piece.  "Party Girl," which was posted not too long ago, was such an easy painting - flowed like melted butter- I expected that to happen again... but no.  I realize I should be thankful when those paintings do come along.  Anyway, what I love about this is the challenge of dealing with folds and muscles, depth and a sense of place, and personality. 






Here is an early photo of the current piece, not yet titled.  
I've drawn loosely, freehand and am working on laying in color here.  I discovered a new mixture of cobalt green and cobalt teal with titanium and just love the blue tones.  








                                                          Here is the next phase: detail in the folds of the sofa cover, tightening up the drawing a bit and finding the lights and darks.  










Here is where I left off today : the color is building up to create the depth I like in my work and I began to play with the darks and lights nearest the body.  I like the red as a place to focus and have the dog lie flat while the folds curl around her as she wiggles on the sofa.  I'm toying with darkening the background to enhance the light focused on the chest and legs.  My color challenge now is to make sure the palette remains in harmony.  I love the green, but think it's going to need to change.  Or take the red back out.  And maybe that floppy ear needs to go. We'll see.    

No comments:

Post a Comment