Friday, April 16, 2010

April 16 2010

Recently, my art friend Susan asked me ...Just curious... how many hours do you typically spend painting/week? And how many doing business for art?” I couldn’t answer that accurately and thought I’d take a few weeks to keep my hours and compare. Well, I still can’t answer that accurately.  It seems there is always something unexpected going on. 
I’m getting ready for a spring show, so I’m spending more time on the computer and prepping - things I don’t do year round.  I’m also spending more time painting, so even that isn’t quite as normal.  My current guess would be for every 3 hours painting I spend maybe 1 hour doing business chores.  At one time I would have said 2 to 1, but since I’ve changed how I deal with commissions, and hired Susan B. to assist,  that has freed up my time. And where do I include teaching hours?  hmmm.  Of course, none of this takes into consideration the time I spend taking care of home, husband and my critter family.  Do I include that as well?  
What am I doing right now?  Well, I’ve been painting for about an hour.  Took a break to check on the dogs outside, sat here to get off my feet 
(I paint standing) and post to the blog.  I’ll be back to painting when I finish this.  So this would fit into a 4 to 1 ratio - 1 hour painting, about 15 minutes for a break and blogging, which I consider business, since I blog for my clients and students mostly. 
After show season, I’m going to try and make an effort to record my hours. I think I’ll divide it into quarters - home life, business attention, teaching and studio time.  I’m curious to see what the outcome is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment