Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Day Off

I did something today I didn't intend to do, but the weather was so nice.  I took the day off.  The only thing I did was to grocery shop.  I haven't done that in quite awhile, take the day off totally that is,  and I haven't done it in several years without the guilt of knowing I had clients waiting for a painting.  You can tell it's still on my mind, but the weight has been lifted. Maybe posting to the blog counts for work?  ummmm - a stretch?   


Ironically, since my decision to inform my clients about the changes I'm making, I have been more productive in the studio. It baffles me and I'm thrilled.  


Here is Ditto, about ready to go home after a little tweaking and tuning.  His parents are delighted and so am I.  This was a pleasure to work on.  Even though it's not my preference to do a head shot, I love this one. It captures him.  It helped that I met Ditto quite some time ago and remembered his gentle manner along with his impressive stature. 
Ditto has been gone awhile now and I was honored to have had the opportunity to do this painting for the couple that loved him. 




I also met with Mikki's Mom this weekend and we chatted about the painting which I'm ready to get finished now. Something really clicked with this one recently and I suppose sometimes that's what happens with a piece...it takes time to pull it together. She sees her Mikki and that's what I struggled with for quite awhile. Still some things to work out, but we're in agreement as to what, so that will happen.


After these two, I have Plum the kitty hanging out in that limbo stage - where I think I'm done, but set it aside for awhile to make sure it's all ok. I've done work on her tail, the background colors and added in a number of layers to make her more solid.  I don't have a recent image of that one to post here, but she is on another post from awhile back.  Once Ditto goes home, Plum gets back on easel # 2. 


On another note, I was contacted by a number of wait list clients who were generous and understanding about my letter and blog.  A few asked to be removed from the list and I'm hoping to help them find the right artist, if they choose.  I appreciate their honesty in wanting to move on, too.  One wrote to me telling me she had found another artist some time ago, and was obviously angry that I was not more often in touch.  I am tickled for her that she went ahead and did what was right for her and now has a painting she loves.  I wished she had let me know so I could have kept my records more up to date, but she felt she was not obligated to do so (and she is right.)  I listen to my critics as well as my fans, as they have insight which helps me know what I should do.  Her response confirmed that I had done the right thing, but perhaps I should have done so sooner. At any rate, most who contacted me asked to remain on the list regardless; and I am so thankful for their kind words of encouragement.    


I keep wondering if this productivity will last, but for now I'm enjoying what's happening.  







No comments:

Post a Comment