Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Graduate

For anyone curious about the puppy school saga:
I should be cleaning up my house, an impossible task always, but I'm bustin' with pride so instead I'm here to report that Gregory rallied last night and graduated Puppy Class.  If I had anything to say about it, it would be "with honors," but after the last two weeks, I'll take progress.


Last week, I felt so dejected after Gregory's behavior in the previous class, plus I had a pounding headache AND I had been traveling with said pup, so we didn't get much training time in, that I skipped out.  I KNOW!  How's a dog supposed to succeed if he's skipping school when he needs it the most?  The irony of that decision.


However, it turned out all right after all.  We went into class; I was fully expecting him to act like the rambunctious goofball teen that he is.  He did get a little wound up upon meeting a newcomer, but he settled right in, stayed with me like he could actually admit in public that my presence was tolerable, and performed beautifully.  I've been saying all along - " At home, he does everything perfectly."  and I know the reaction to that was probably "uh huh." Gregory proved me right.


Except for one moment, when I was trying to showoff his "down" using only a hand signal. He was actually sitting on his long, curved tail, the end peeking out between his legs under his belly.  Which started wagging underneath him and he got distracted.  It did after all look like a little wiggly snake moving around under his belly there with no evidence of attachment to himself.  Jenn had stepped into class at that point and when I saw her trying her best not to burst out laughing I gave up.  He's such a happy dog...his tail wags wherever it lands!


Photo courtesy of instructor JD and Dog Talk Training and Behavior
So Gregory is a Graduate and now.  His separation anxiety is lessening greatly.  He loves people and dogs; it's just being away from me that triggers his fears anymore.  He goes into his crate easily, listens and obeys perfectly. (although he'll still tear up a shoe or a pillow in a flash, given the opportunity.)
I'm trying to decide whether to continue the next level of obedience or enroll him in agility classes.  Although he needs the job, I don't, so we'll see.







No comments:

Post a Comment