Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Rabbit update 2011

The baby has left the nest.  I say baby, singular, because I believe there was only one. 
Typically there are 2 or 3, but when I finally got a peek at the baby, it was rather large.  And it was about 5 days earlier than I expected to see it, so I'm guessing either there was only one, OR Mama Bunny gave birth a little earlier than I thought. 






A few days before the baby came out, I noticed the opening was getting larger.  Mama moves her fur away when she's ready for the babies to see the world.  It's fascinating really, to be able to watch the process on a daily basis.  


Mama Bunny won't get any bonus points from me for being Mommy of the Year. She'll run before she will protect her young.  When the dogs or I show up, Boing! boing! boing! She's sprinted across the yard and under the fence.  Gone. 
In spite of that, baby bunnies seem to proliferate and do quite well.  Once they've dodged the neighborhood dogs, cats and hawks, it's on to more bunny-making around here.  


At any rate, "my" baby bunny has hit the road.  I haven't seen it anywhere, but hope it's doing ok.  I also hope it's not a she and that it doesn't return to make new nests or babies in my yard.  




Good luck little one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment