Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Bats

I had intended to blog about an experience I had last week rescuing a hawk from traffic, but that will wait for another day.  Instead, I'm going to talk about bats. 


Last night while watching the local news a report came on about how the station had helped a family with a bat infestation in their apartment.  Then I saw the man beat one bat with a mop, and another bat with a broom or mop handle.  I was so horrified and shocked, I had to change the station.  My blood boiled with anger and I became anxious.  Total visceral reaction.  I could not believe that this was what this man had to resort to and worse, that the station would film and show such violence towards another living creature.  If it had been a cat or a dog, the person would be charged with animal cruelty.  


Why is it that we decide that some animals are more worthy of our care and respect than others?  My answer is fear and ignorance.  I don't mean ignorance as in "stupid." I mean ignorance as in not knowing any other way.  Of course this young father was worried about his family. He has young children.  I'd be worried, too.  Who wants to live with bats flying around your home every night?  Shame on the apartment manager and complex owner for not keeping up the property.  That would have prevented the nesting in the first place.  Shame on them for not taking care of the problem immediately once the bats were reported.  That would have prevented entire families of bats from being destroyed.  And while I understand the father's reaction, what he has inadvertently shown his family is that it's ok to attack and harm another creature even if it isn't attacking or harming you.  I get it; they were in his home.  He was left to his own devices when help wasn't available.  It's just so sad from all sides. 


Bats are intelligent and generally harmless, shy creatures who actually help us by keeping down insect populations.  Some species eat up to 3000 insects a night.  Few of them are blood-sucking and those may carry rabies.  More rabies cases are attributed to raccoons, foxes and feral cats than to bats.   Here is a link to the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.
Bat Facts

I remember as a child we had bats nesting in our attic.  My father did what he knew to do: he waited until dusk and "fogged" the entire attic with poison to drive them out or kill them.  It was a terrible evening for me as I sat on the front porch and helplessly watched these fascinating creatures swarm out and die.  I tried to talk my father out of his intent, but in the 70's, there weren't many alternatives nor much information to help persuade him otherwise.  


Here is a link to a website that encourages humane bat control, with excellent information about bats, their habitats, habits, disease, etc. 
Bats | Virginia Professional Wildlife Removal Services, LLC (804) 457-2883


In the 1990's I moved to a home with a swimming pool in my backyard.  What a treat to go out on a warm summer night and lull in a cool pool.  Until one night a bat came diving at me.  I screamed!  I ducked under water!  I ran into the house.  My husband laughed hysterically and I was dumbfounded.  But, I next went to our computer and began researching bats.  I learned that bats drink by diving into lakes (or pools) and skimming the top of the water: like a touch-and-go airplane maneuver.  So the next night, I watched.  And sure enough, that is exactly what the bats were doing.  They weren't "attacking" me at all.  They were drinking.  From that point on I gladly shared my pool with the bats and no longer was afraid if I was in the pool, although I admit, I didn't stay in while they drank.  


Point is, if possible, there are options to dealing with the other creatures we share our earth with than resorting to destruction.  

No comments:

Post a Comment