Saturday, February 19, 2011

Drawing Workshop Finale

Here is where I left off. 
After making that leap into a more solid drawing, this is what happened next. 





Our model began a pose which lasted over an hour, with breaks in between.  This one on the right is the first round for me.


This one on the left is the 2nd version.  








I felt I had finished with the one above, so started a new one of the same pose.  Using eraser, I began to "paint" in the form after drawing.  It began as an accident after I tried to pull some white out of a too-heavy dark area. (I think anyone who draws probably already knew this, but I haven't done charcoal drawing in so long, it was like a new discovery.)  I really liked how the eraser worked as a tool and since painting is where my comfort zone lies, It worked really nicely for me.  I was really getting into the work when it was decided it was time for a new pose. 







This one was a short pose, the end of the day, so this is all I had time to do.  I love the right leg - so powerful.  Looking at both legs, you can see where I complete the drawing on the left, then use the eraser to blend on the right one. 









This next image won't make a lot of sense, because I tossed out the work I did leading up to it.  I know!! tsk tsk, - so let me set this up. 

The last day of the workshop we spent working with materials.  The idea was to exploit 2 mediums to their fullest; basically do everything you can imagine with them and more.  This is where I have real problems as an artist.   Liz,  who was next to me for this task, LOVES, loves, loves playing with materials.  She could really care less (at first) about making anything - she just enjoys the process of discovery.  It was very helpful to me to have her nearby and watch her joy and playfulness. 
I like to take one medium and learn as much as I can about it and apply it to what I'm intending.  I don't tend to take the medium beyond it's purpose, so this day was a bit frustrating for me.  I chose oil and chalk pastels; two items which are very difficult to make work together.  
ok, so I set myself up....
anyway, after doing some typical texture studies, which I thought were kinda fun but Thomas (our instructor, see previous posts) seemed to think I wasn't pushing enough.  So he bolts off, comes back quickly and asks "what is your favorite food?"  "Chocolate..." I said with much hesitation and wondering what that was about.  "What kind?"  huh?  "What kind?"  I shook my head and he whips out a peppermint patty.  "Now paint with this."  

ohgoodlord. He broke the patty in half, smeared it all over his hands, then all over my paper, handed it to me and !  I had sugar and chocolate everywhere.  Sugar melts, so it wasn't terribly useful, but it did leave a residue - a very sticky residue, which explains the tossing of the experimental papers. Chocolate is best eaten, in my opinion.  But it did help loosen me up and yes, I probably could have pushed it more.    

I did go on to find ways to make the chalk and oil pastel work together, with the addition of white ink. I had a plastic container for my ipod earbuds, and decided I wanted to do shiny with these non-shiny materials.  I know how to do it with pencil or paint,  or color pastels, but this was a challenge.  I didn't achieve complete success, and it isn't a wonderful drawing, but I didn't do too badly.  

The 2nd part of this workshop comes up in April.  Can't wait!  

1 comment:

  1. WOWOW WOWOOWO WOW! I love the figure where you started to erase. NO< not a great many people "paint" with their eraser, they erase. Get some FINER paper to do this on and do your animals. You want paper that will erase and not leave a mark- well sized!! You will also want to try different types of blacks. There is a purity of JOY in these works. NO WORK! No worry, just a ride! (Look at the "erased figure" on the bottom center (crazy line? LOVE that!) and then the WHOLE bottom right is corner is jumpin'!! Your mastery of Shape has met texture and form in such a powerful way.

    ReplyDelete