Thursday, August 12, 2010

Canine Vestibular Disease/Syndrome

My poor old girl Gracie, as if she needs another problem as she ages. 


This past weekend the old lady stood up around bedtime and began staggering across the floor.  I watched her and asked aloud, " What is wrong with you, Gracie? Hmmmm?  What is going on?"  It didn't take long to figure it out.  I'd been through this before with another dog a long while ago. The drunken walk, the head tilt. oh no.  I looked at her eyes and sure enough, they were practically spinning!  They were moving back and forth, left to right, with such speed it made ME dizzy.  I do not have a photo...it's too sad to chronicle in images.  


Sunday was awful for us both.  She wouldn't eat, couldn't get her balance, her head strongly tilted to the left and she walked in circles what little bit she could manage to walk.  I had to carry her up and down stairs. (no choice) 


Canine vestibular disease is a puzzle, but seems to affect the inner ear and create vertigo in a dog.  Cats can have this, too. Apparently the nausea from the vertigo makes them ill and not willing to take food.  She will drink water.   Luckily, Gracie is a trouper and doesn't take much without a fight. Unfortunately, she can't afford to not eat since she is already too thin, so I was worried.  We went to the vet on Monday to verify her condition.  Today is Thursday and other than bits of cheese and chicken, she hasn't eaten.  I had to force feed her today.  This syndrome should subside in 3 - 4 weeks.  Can you imagine? 


Gracie is aptly named.  She is a dog with much grace, pride and dignity.  She's not easy for others to love, but she loves us and we love her.   It's so difficult when I can't make it all better for her.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry about Gracie. That must be really difficult to cope with right now. Or maybe it's lovely to be so needed and loved and appreciated?

    ReplyDelete