Sunday, July 25, 2010

Gabriela - Part Two

Gabriela was loaded into the back of a truck, with the toys and collar we had bought for her and I drove away in tears.  Oh my god!  I had just "returned" a living creature, something I never thought I'd do.  We thought it really was for the best, for us and for her.  No matter what I was thinking in my head, I was heartbroken.  


A week went by and I had an art show coming up.  But little Gabby stayed in our hearts and on our minds.  Gracie and Eugene didn't seem to care on iota, but Ernie and I certainly realized how much she had imprinted on us.  After much discussion, the same Saturday I was in my booth at the art show, Ernie made arrangements to bring Gabby home again.  Obviously this time she stayed.  
How cute can you possibly be?  This is our little gal at 4 months old.  


Gabby was a happy, exuberant puppy who played until she crashed.  She loved the Big Dogs (although they weren't as tickled with her completely inappropriate behavior.)  She seemed to do fine with animals, adults, children.  Our only issue was her energy level and learning how to deal with her.  
Here Gabby is watching Eugene watch the squirrels.  Eugene is a great example for her. 
She would curl up with Eugene every chance she had.  Still will, if he allows it. 



Something, somewhere along the way happened and Gabby evolved into a frightened little dog.  She began to run from friends, feared strangers, shook and manically circled around the house, disappeared upstairs into her crate and just hated anything out of the ordinary.  We attributed it to her hound personality and energy.  We eventually took the crate away, and I sometimes would leash her when friends came in, to prevent the circling behavior and to allow her to be with us and see no harm would come to her.  She absolutely despises car rides and although Ernie would drive her weekly to the park to run, she never could enjoy it because of the rides.  She couldn't wait to get back home and Ernie just gave up having another running buddy.  

So about a month ago, after reading about a trainer in Richmond who sounded just like someone I'd trust, I decided it was time to deal with Gabby's issues.  She is now 4 and I can't imagine her continuing to live in fear of the unknown for the rest of her life.  I called Jenn Kyzer, of Dog Talk in Richmond.  And Gabriela is on the road to a new way of being.   
Next post:  Gabriela's transformation begins.  

No comments:

Post a Comment