Saturday, July 17, 2010

Gabriela - Part One

Gabriela, or Gabby to us, is our little Clown Hound.  She is a beautiful girl dog, who wears a one-sleeved sweater draped coyly around her body.  We were told she was a beagle - lab mix, but as she grew taller with her slender face, I decided rightly or wrongly, that she is Fox Hound and lab.  Her litter mates, except the one that looked like her, all resembled labs and she has webbed toes. Otherwise, we'd have no clue.  



Gabby came home with me one day after I went to adopt another dog from a local rescue group. The other dog was larger and I thought more suited to our household and Eugene, whose companion he'd likely become, since Gracie was aging early and had begun showing signs of her legs giving up.  So, I waited for the foster mom and the dog I was to meet when it was mentioned by my contact with this rescue group that she had the cutest pup from a littler she was fostering in the back of her truck. This little girl pup was on the way back to her littermates after having been spayed.  At 4 months old, what I MET was a frightened, drooling, timid little hound. (What I BROUGHT HOME was another creature entirely!)   I took her out of the truck and walked around with her a bit, hoping to ease her fears and distract her.  Well, I fell in love.  Again.  


On a side note here:  I truly believe that if we open our hearts and minds, our furry companions come to us when the Universe decides it's time.  


So, I adopted Gabby after spending an hour with her and the other dog didn't show until I had finished with the papers for Gabby.  Home we went, fresh stitches and all.  I thought she'd be good with our dogs and she reminded me a little of our recently deceased Gus.  Another hound mix.  Gus was a great, quiet and peaceful dog.  


My husband chose the name Gabriela, but my friend Polly says it's because Gabby herself "told" him that was her name.  Polly is an animal communicator.  


So here's what happened in the next two days.  Gabby crawled under chairs and tables, and was fairly meek as she met the big kids. She was very submissive as the older dogs sniffed and introduced themselves.  We kept her safe (stitches!) and in her crate much of the rest of the first day.  The next day Gabby "wilded-out" on us.  She was all over the other two dogs, had crazy energy, and was so silly and fun.  She wore us out.  THEN, she wouldn't leave Eugene alone.  Gracie couldn't stand her energy (ha, ironic!) and Eugene didn't know what to do.  He kept looking at me asking "why?"  So we reluctantly called my contact and told her we didn't think she was the right fit for our household.  It broke our hearts, but Eugene was becoming aggressive with her, Gracie already was aggressive with her and Gabby didn't seem to understand "no" in dog language, much less human language.  I had art shows coming up and we didn't think it would be fair or safe to keep her.  We wanted her in the right home as much as we wanted to keep her.  


On the 3rd day, I crated Gabby and put her in the van, met my contact and sent her back to her foster home and siblings.  

No comments:

Post a Comment