Thursday, May 6, 2010

Getting Ready for Exhibit

It has been a whirlwind week.  I've spent as much time in the "office" as I have in the studio.  I've completed 5 paintings on canvas. (pics below)  I had begun all but one of them awhile back, some as long as two years ago.  It seemed a good time to finish them since I had a show coming up and not much new to take.  It's imperative to take new pieces to an art show, and I've always been up front with my clients that I paint for shows in April/May and August, but since I'd been concentrating on commission work, I hadn't really finished but a few pieces in the past year.  Last year I only exhibited in one juried show, plus a few benefit exhibits. A typical year may include up to 6 juried outdoor events. 


I do art shows for many reasons.  Since I don't take commission work any longer, I know my clients probably wonder why I bother to exhibit.  I do art shows to sell what I have and to see what resonates with the public as well as my peers and the show judges.  For me, it's never been about making a fortune, though wouldn't that be nice?  It's been about painting because I can't help it and wanting to support that calling by selling some of what I create - a self-sustaining habit, if you will.  Those who've followed me for a long time know I began with  seascapes, genre paintings, florals and pastel work.  The animals have been quite recent. 


OK, it's nearly midnight and I think I'm rambling. 
This past week I've been up until 2 a.m. - painting much of the day, breaking periodically for my pups to go out and to eat.  Late at night I get on the computer and print notecards, business cards, title tags, check emails, then pop back into the studio to finish up paintings, etc.  While folding and bagging notecards (so far, total of 4 hours doing cards and more to go)  I've watched a couple of shows (don't laugh: I like Celebrity Apprentice and American Idol as my version of easy listening.)  


Here are some pics of completed work, and I'm going to get some sleep. Tomorrow I have a visit to the vet with two furkids, have to round up paintings from galleries and get the house tidy.  And finish getting ready to show.  




      





















No comments:

Post a Comment