Friday, March 19, 2010

Nothing Quite as Planned

Some weeks things just go all awonky.  It's been one of those weeks and I can honestly say that my life is never boring.  It may not be exciting....but that's another thing altogether.  (chuckle)

I had planned to complete another painting this week during my studio time, but plans do change.  My husband's work schedule forced me to rearrange a future date to happen NOW, so yesterday I had Susan B. and Will Turner join me in making notecards.  Will is a local artist who has envisioned a project called The 1000 Strong Project.  The intent is to sell the artwork of 1000 artists to raise (oh, shoot me Will - I can't remember! ) 10,000 dollars (I think) for the benefit of Comfort Zone Camp.  In exchange for helping me to print and prep my notecards for sale, I showed him the program I use and how to create the cards.  Susan was here of course to learn and help, as I hope she will take over that task in the future. 

I work mostly from home, so we convened in my small and cluttered office filled with everything from golf clubs to a paper shredder (my cat loves to sleep in the shreds) and computers and printers and more; oh my.  First the program acted up while showing Susan how to find and recreate a card.  Then Will arrived and we got things running fairly smoothly.  Then the ink misbehaved.  I had to discard cartridges with ink, as none of the remedies were working.  In the meantime, I switched to printer B and that was worse - it has never liked chatting with my Mac and refused to feed paper properly in protest.  About 30 minutes, 3 ink cartridges, about 10 or so damaged notecards and 6 sheets of test paper later, we began rolling again.  Missions somewhat accomplished.  Thankfully both Will and Susan are good-natured souls who go with the flow. And I'm just happy that at least there is that much less I have to do later. 

Today's to-dos include changing out art at a gallery, delivering sketches to be matted and shrinkwrapped, and spending time with aforementioned husband at some point.  Previously I would have stressed over NOT getting into the studio and how much further behind that would put me.  But, things come along and I can be only in one place at one time, mind and body.  If I do get into the studio, great.  If not, there will be another moment when I shall.  

4 comments:

  1. Adele, thanks for the lesson! Enjoyed my afternoon of learning through trials and tribulations! BTW, The 1000 Strong Group's goal is to bring together 1000 artists from across the country, help them sell more work, so they can donate part of the proceeds ($1,000) back to Comfort Zone Camp that provides camps for kids who have lost a parent. So the BIG HAIRY AUDACIOUS GOAL IS TO RAISE $1 MILLION! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for clarifying, Will. An audacious and worthy goal, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adele,
    Just curious... how many hours do you typically spend painting/week? And how many doing business for art? That would be an interesting survey to take among our art friends...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a good question. It depends.
    I began an answer here, but I think it deserves an entire blog entry...
    Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete