Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Pet Rescue and Zoe

I've learned a lot about rescue in the last 5 days.  I had to.  My nephew's American Bulldog, Zoe, is in need of a new home.  




This is Zoe. I know.  She looks just like any one of my paintings of big-headed dogs. She's beautiful. 

She's also a loved and loving dog.  Most of the time.  Until, as we say in the south, she gets a bee in her bonnet and then she decides to take it out on her big brother dog.  As a friend put it, "she acts like a butt-head."  Or as a contact in rescue put it, " it's not uncommon behavior with this breed."  Hmmmm.  Tell me more.

Dog aggression and human aggression are not the same thing.  Apparently, these 30 second, sporadic spats are just what they are, spats.  However, and this is WHY Zoe needs a new home, she is a large, 70 pound pile of muscle.  And so is her companion dog.  So when they go at it, even for a spat, it gets costly, not to mention dangerous and scary. And there is a toddler in the house. 

This has been a tough time for Zoe's humans.  The toddler is nearly 3 years old.  Zoe is excellent with their child.  Beyond tolerant.  They also have a baby due to arrive any moment.  Their energy, time and funds have to be redirected towards their growing human family.  Zoe could use some good old-fashioned home-schooling, and we've received lots of offers for advice, training and help.  We appreciate every offer, but it's past that stage now, for us.  But NOT for someone else IF THEY WILL ADOPT HER.    

So why don't I take her in?  Of course you want to know.  Because, as much as I'd like to, my own household contains 3 large dogs, one elderly and feeble that requires a good deal of my time.  Currently my schedule revolves around his needs now, plus I have other commitments for my time and I travel.  A feeble dog is a target for a bully dog.  He cannot defend himself. If timing were different, yes, I could try and make it work. 

What we really need is a place for Zoe to be a dog. Preferably without other dogs, although she's never shown signs of aggression to other dogs, except her own brother, which she has learned she can beat up on when she feels like it. Yep, she's a bully.  Humans do it, too.  Sometimes human siblings bully one another growing up, but that doesn't always translate as dangerous to society.  

My nephew has been completely honest about Zoe.  He is also concerned that his child, or any child, might be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  As I said, aggression to humans is different, and Zoe has never shown any, but my nephew wants it clear that her attacks on her brother dog have them worried.  He rightly has placed his family's needs first.  

I know, hard to believe with what I've written when you see her sleeping with her big brother.  As my nephew says, the attacks are sporadic, 99% of the time all is well, and typically Zoe loves her buddy.  Yes, he wishes it were different, but if Zoe has no home to go to soon, she will have to be euthanized.  We can be judgmental all we wish, but the bottom line is, Zoe needs a home or she dies.  In his defense, he has been trying to place her within his network for a long while.  And he has chosen humane euthanization over sending her to a kill shelter or risk having her go to just anyone who may abuse, fight or otherwise have no clue about her breed and her needs.  He and his wife deserve kudos for that.  This isn't a last minute, panicky decision here.  

Which leads me to rescue.  

It is disheartening when you are consistently told no.  
Most of us don't have the time or contacts to find the right rescue - although dozens exist.  

Rescues are full.  They seem to stay full, all the time.  Most aren't set up to deal with a dog that has an aggressive streak, no matter how good she may be.  Kenneling this dog in the wrong environment will worsen her issues.  Training could likely end those issues.  Shoot, it's possible away from her buddy, she'll never have them again.  We don't know.  

Rescues pull from kill shelters, including aggressive dogs, but don't seem to wish to take a dog from a home, in spite of the fact it may also be killed, but at least humanely.  Again, space is the issue, usually.  Or having a foster who can blend this dog into their current pack. The word "aggression" tilts the scale. It is frustrating. Understandable, but frustrating. I don't begrudge any of the shelters for refusing us.  It is what it is. Too many dogs, not enough homes.  

Persistence is what helps.  I've been nothing but persistent.  I don't know our odds for getting Zoe a home.  I've been thrilled to have good advice, and a local rescue group has Zoe on Petfinders now.  I've overloaded my facebook posts with Zoe.  My FB friends have been sharing my posts and photos.  I have another rescue contact willing to help with transport should we find a placement.  If I had given up after the first few declines, I wouldn't have that.  Even so, the odds are against us.   

Rescues are nearly always non-profit, run by volunteers who make NO money and work tirelessly.  After just these past few days, I have an even greater appreciation for their dedication. 

We need time, but don't have it. Zoe's humans are on overload. And as I've noted, there is no space for her. Zoe is 5 years old, spayed, crate-trained, leash trained, knows commands (but can be hard-headed.) 

If you are inclined, please share this.  

Adopt Zoe


Or better yet, if you have a place and time


for a new pet, consider giving her a chance. 

Update - 8/22/2013

The baby arrived in July as expected. Zoe and her companion dog are being kept in separate quarters in the home.  Zoe's humans have had a consult with a trainer, who determined Zoe needs to be in a one-dog household.  

The elder dog in the house is not Zoe's litter brother, and was in the house long before Zoe arrived.  Zoe was not a rescue or breeder dog - but came to this family via friend of a friend.  So there is no where to "return her." 

Yes, every imaginable rescue has been called, from SPCAs to Bully Rescue Orgs. to Cesar Millan.  I'm not kidding - I have no fear in attempting to find this dog a home.  About 50 % of the groups contacted have not even responded. (including Cesar Millan's)  The others have turned us down....re-read above about that.  New suggestions come periodically and we try them as received, if we haven't already.  Zoe will not be sent to a pound or overfilled rescue where she will become lost in the system, become dangerous or worse, be adopted to fight.  Many will disagree, but euthanasia is sadly, horrifyingly a better choice.  

Every being in this house is currently a prisoner, relegated to one portion or another depending on which dog is where.  It is no way for animal or human to live and unfair to both dogs.   

I've learned that everyone has an opinion.  Many have suggestions.    Most people are kind, helpful and thoughtful.  The bottom line is - Can you give her a home?  If not, will you share this post?  I'd love for the next update to say Zoe has a home!  

Update - 9/17/2013

Zoe has found a forever home.  Or at least it looks that way.  A lovely person found her face on Petfinders and Zoe is currently living with her new human and slowly adapting to a new life.  It isn't easy, but Zoe is safe, and while her former humans miss her  the house is now calm and the older dog is showing signs of relief. 

A new blog post about Zoe's new life will appear soon - after everyone has had time to settle in.  A separate blog about rescue options and things I've learned is in the making. 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment