Friday, August 5, 2011

Gracie's Responses

I had forgotten how wonderful my commission clients could be, after some peculiar experiences that impelled me to quit commission work nearly altogether. Yet my recent blog posts about our struggles with an elderly dog have brought out some amazing responses from not only dear and long-time friends, but people whom I know only through my art. 


One amazing and lovely woman has offered to come and sit with Gracie to allow me time to get away.  I've certainly met her pups, but she's never met mine.  What a tender and generous gift to give. 


A close friend keeps a bag of clothes packed in her car in case I have an emergency and need someone to be in the house.  She sat with Gracie during her bout with pneumonia several weeks ago while I went to teach my class. 


Another person whose dogs I've painted and who has been through similar struggles with her elderly dog contacted me by email.  Her words broke my heart and uplifted my soul.  Her dog had passed away this spring, which brought me to tears.  I had the pleasure of meeting Tess twice and painted her in 2009. Tess's Mom told me about their last days together and ended her note with this, 
"Your words touch my heart and for what it’s worth, I think you are doing everything absolutely right!"


That alone was such a gift to hear.  I know I am lucky that I have the time to spend with my Gracie and the ability to pay for her medical care.  Not every pet owner has that and I can't imagine the feeling of being helpless and having no options. 


Right now Gracie is holding her own.  Still functioning completely. Still the Alpha in the house. She's eating better than she has in nearly a year.  I don't mind having to be nearby all the time.  I know the cancer will take her away soon enough.  





1 comment:

  1. Another response received in email. Here is a portion:

    "You are blessed to have her & she you. Gracie & you are meant for one another. We are blessed to have you. You are able to put into words what so many of us cannot. Your words bring us tears & joy & relief - almost like a counselor. Thank you for sharing Gracie.

    Give her love from Las Vegas. I'd say The Good Boyz send her crotch sniffs but I don't think Gracie would tolerate such! Being a lady and all! (You describe her & I am reminded of the late 1800's/early 1900's. When pioneer women settled in dusty towns out West. Beautiful and feisty - everyone is jealous of her looks & success but knows not to mess with her for she can hold her own.). Yes, I am humanizing her. But that doesn't bother me a bit & hopefully not you.

    Again, thank you for sharing Gracie. "

    ReplyDelete