Friday, October 22, 2010

Gracie

 Although lately I spend more time with dog issues than I do in my studio, I wouldn't have done anything differently.  Gracie is my 14 year old collie-lab mix who has just had a rough time of it these past few months.  I am well aware that at certain points, had she been part of another family, she'd have been put down.  Sometimes it is sadly about affordability and other times it's about having the time to deal with a pet's illness.  I find that heartbreaking, having to choose to end a life based on money and time.  But I know it's real and I'm grateful I am not in those shoes.  
Even more so, because Gracie is finally coming around.  After 84 days, or nearly 3 months, my old girl is beginning to ask for food, showing a bit of appetite, is 100 % mobile (though she has her moments of stumbling and awkwardness) and putting on a tiny bit of weight.  She's been through acupuncture, countless diet changes, x-rays, ultrasound and I've taken her off her daily meds.  Yesterday she spent the afternoon at the referral clinic (VRCC) being observed and we're awaiting results of bloodwork to see if she is unable to absorb nutrients, among other things.  


Gracie is not a lovey-dovey dog, but when I leave the house lately and come home, she is beyond happy to see me.  I think she knows she isn't quite right and she is relieved she hasn't been left.  I'm tickled to see her romping again with the other pups and generally just acting like an old lady dog.  I've known all along this was not her time to die.  She wasn't right, but she was in no way ready to give up.  And when she is, I'll be there to help her through that transition.  Until then, we are thrilled to have our old gal still with us. 



No comments:

Post a Comment