Monday, March 23, 2009

Monday Morning Questions

Well, I lied. Not on purpose. But the painting I was going to work on I did not. I began a new piece and continued another for the demonstration yesterday. Here is one. Thank you to those who came to watch. Some of you had some very good questions.

So now is a good time to address the questions I am most often asked.

How long does it take you to do a painting?
How long depends on a number of factors. The easiest to address are the size of the canvas and the scope of the painting. The larger and more detailed, the longer it may take.
Along with that comes my personal issues as an artist. Do I enjoy the painting? Is it of my choosing ( or is it a client's preference if it is a commission?) Are there things not working in the composition? And, of course, difficulty.

There is no magic formula or "how-to" when I paint. I've been asked "how do you paint a nose?" Well, I LOOK at the nose and I paint the one I see. Seems simple, but not always, and the bottom line is, for me, that I don't use any step by step "rules" when doing an object.

So the answer is - I don't know how long a painting may take. Some may be done in a matter of days, some weeks and even others, over a year. If I set a painting aside and wait, rather than struggle through and fight with it, it can often be a much better painting in the long run. If my signature goes onto a painting, I have to feel like it's the best I could do with that piece.
Thankfully, I have some very patient commission clients who understand.

How do you choose your color?
Totally random. At least in the beginning. Rarely do I ever envision a finished piece. I pretty much paint from my gut and I "listen" to the painting. Once I'm into it, of course I make thoughtful choices about how colors interact and mix, but to start? Totally random.

How do you decide on a price?
That's a tough one for every artist. After years of arbitrary choices, I decided to price per square inch. It makes sense and is consistent.
I choose a bottom line that the local and regional market will bear and yet compares to regional and national artists who also do what I do. I know what my customers will pay. I know what I need to balance the bills and remain fair to my clientele. It's a fine balancing act.

No comments:

Post a Comment